Welcome to the first instalment of what will be a weekly recipe series from FFMM. We’ll be splitting the recipes into easy, weekday/weeknight meals and some that are a bit more advanced. We intended these to be weekend projects, tackled when you have a bit more time on your hands. The idea with this series is for us to showcase a wide range of products and cuts, and for you to benefit from simple recipes, as well as getting a chance to flex your culinary muscles when you feel fit. Win. Win. Got it? Good.
This is one of my favourite ways to eat eggs. It sounds a bit whacky, but you need to trust us. The creaminess of good yoghurt (please, PLEASE don’t try this recipe with shitty yoghurt) adds a level of texture that works surprisingly well with the egg yolk, as it oozes over it. I like the addition of smoky chipotle chillies here too, but please leave them out if you’re not a fan.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup full-fat yoghurt
- 1 tsp fennel fronds (or fresh dill)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 x free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 decent knobs of butter
- 2 x El Butto chipotle chillies, finely chopped (a teaspoon of chilli powder will work too)
- The best sourdough you can find, toasted, to serve
- Finely chopped chives, to serve
What to do:
1. In a glass bowl, mix yoghurt, garlic, fennel, salt and pepper.
2. Divide mixture evenly between two plates, smearing the yoghurt until smooth and even.
3. Meanwhile, bring a deep, medium pot to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and add vinegar. Using a fork or a slotted spoon, swirl the water to create a whirlpool.
4. Working one at a time, crack the eggs into a shallow bowl or a coffee cup.
5. Slide eggs (one at a time) into the water and poach until the white is firm (this should take about three and a half minutes)
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and transfer to kitchen towels to drain.
7. Working carefully, place two eggs onto each plate.
8. Melt butter in a pan, over medium heat and add the chipotle chillies.
9. To serve, drizzle butter over eggs and garnish with chopped chives. Make sure there’s enough bread to mop up all of the good stuff.