Well, well, well…Croque ma-DAYUM that’s a fine looking sandwich. Now, I know what you’re thinking. (Besides what an amazing pun that opening sentence was/is). It’s "a mission”. Think again Lazy McLazyface. It requires a bit of work (more than throwing some bread in the toaster), yes. But it’s so worth it. take the time, enjoy the process and revel in the smugness that comes with eating something this awesome.
Stuff you’ll need: (serves four)
- 2 x tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 x tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 x cups milk
- 300g x Gruyère, grated
- 1⁄2 x cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste (just use the powdered version here. Freshly grated is ideal but also a bit of a hack)
- 8 x slices brioche (or any dense, white bread), toasted
- Dijon mustard, to taste
- 8 x slices smoked FFMM ham
- 2 x tbsp neutral oil
- 4 x FFMM free-range eggs
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat your grill. In a medium-sized pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking until smooth. This should take a minute or so.
2. Add milk, still whisking as you work. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
3. Allow liquid to simmer, until thickened.
4. Add half of the Gruyere and all of the parmesan, whisking again until a smooth consistency, seasoning with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Line a baking tray with non-stick grease paper. Lay four slices of the bread on the tray and smear mustard over each. Add two slices of ham per piece of bread and then add remaining Gruyere.
6. Place in oven and grill until cheese starts to melt.
7. Remove and top with remaining bread slices. Pour over loads of Bechamel and return to oven.
8. Grill until sauce is bubbling and browned.
9. Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick pan and add eggs, cooking to your desired consistency and remove from heat (remembering the eggs will continue to cook).
10. To serve, remove bread from oven and place one sandwich per plate. Slide one egg over each.