Confit is a really fancy word for a really simple technique. Essentially, all you’re doing is covering the veg with oil and getting them into an oven at a very low temp. Once that’s done you can pretty much forget about them. Crunchy cashews add a nice textural element to this dish.
What you’ll need:
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 x garlic cloves, crushed
Sea salt, to taste
6 - 8 cups olive oil
2 x tablespoons butter
4 x fennel bulbs, cut lengthways
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 140 Degrees Celsius.
2. Season fennel with salt and arrange on a baking tray, cut side down, along with the garlic.
3. Pour olive oil over fennel and add butter.
4. Cook until soft (about 2 hours)
5. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
6. To serve, toast cashews in a pan and crush lightly. Sprinkle over the fennel and finish with the lemon juice